My Coffee and Me

 My Coffee and Me


In the early morning dark, so’s not to awaken Patti, I leave the lights off

and zombie-walk to the kitchen.

The Coffee Maker appears in my cloudy vision, a beacon of hope,

and, at least, an eye opener, for me, the sleepwalker.

In my foggy state, I attempt to remember if I prepared the Maker the night before.

I open the lid. “I did,” I cry, as I flick the switch to get the java juices flowing, 

turning mere H2O into Black Water A-Go-Go

I feel my way in the dark for the living room recliner.

Ahhh, I settle into its great, all-engulfing comfort, safe from toe stubbing,

Then, in five, I arise, an upstanding man - sort of - and stumble, again zombie-like,

into the kitchen, mumbling “coffee, coffee, coffee,” and pour a cup of black energy.

The synapses start to fire. I’m awake!

My friend Joe has saved me again. 

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songs God Hears

My Destiny

Memories of Nepal