When the Thesaurus Walked the Earth

 When the Thesaurus Walked the Earth


While reading the thesaurus today,*

Attention I wanted to pay

To a word I first spied, and to inspire myself I tried 

To write a poem without delay.


The word hit my eye, “mischievous,”

And jogged an idea quite devilish:

To extract from the jaws of the thesaurus, that wordy dinosaurus,

Something trouble-making, rascally, and roguish.


The open maw of the thesaurus 

Held synonyms for that miscreant, mischievous:

Boyish, playful, prankish, and puckish,

Sportive, naughty, and impish. 


The beast’s mouth then snapped shut,

My poem stuck in the proverbial rut.

I had words but couldn’t use them, if I did so I’d abuse them,

To the poet, the unkindest cut.  


To the reader, I ask your excusing

For my muse, in action, gone missing.

Let bygones be bygones, and woebegones be woebegones,

Today the thesaurus I’ll no longer be perusing.


*Yes, it’s come to this: I’ve run out of rhyme, misplaced the muse, looking for poetry in all the         

  wrong places, reduced to reading the thesaurus. 


      


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songs God Hears

My Destiny

Real Change or Just Pocket Change