Naming the Unnameable

 Naming the Unnameable


I am the Light…

Ethereal glow of moon on the snow

Luminescence of early morning

Sparkle of color in the frost

Uncertain glimmer through the fog

Flashes of sunlight on the water

Flickering flames of a campfire

Bright white of the eagle’s head


I am the Dark…

Shadow where moon light comes so far but doesn’t reach

Sombre room of night

Uneasy land of dreams

Unlit sky

Realm of owls


I am the Mountain…

Source of the clear snow melt

Maker of rain shadow

Foreign country to the flatlander

Home of the gods

Where the Earth ends and Heavens begin


I am the Valley...

Grateful recipient of spring meltwater

Land of rivers, some swift and straight, some meandering oxbows

Contour shaped by water or glacier long ago

Verdant garden country

Where people dream of the mountaintop


I am the Warm…

Smiling eyes under a thick, wool cap

Held hands

Embrace of love

Look of gratitude

Beam of baby’s face


I am the Cold…

Ice shoved onto the south shore by the north wind

Wind chill on a frosted face

Ice blink on the frozen lake horizon, where even the sunlight is frigid

Snow’s remake of the landscape 


I am the Wind…

River of air

Shiver of wind

Bluster on the bridge

Whirling tempest

Warm southerlies


I am the Calm…

Peace

Tranquility

Rest

Meditation

Pelican floating on placid lake


I am the Air…

Invisible essence of life

Nothingness that is breath

Something that somehow fills the lungs

Something to draw deep into your center 

Unseen stuff that lifts the birds


I am the Water…

Trickling spring

Coursing river

Thundering rapids

Spring torrent

Spindrift flying off cresting waves

Placid lake

Freshwater sea

60% of the adult body

70% of the Earth’s surface

Where the loon is at home








 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Destiny

Songs God Hears

Real Change or Just Pocket Change