A Place in the Heart

 A Place in the Heart


People ask, “Where are you from?”

“The road,” I answer.

Lived in twenty-five places at last count.

My home wherever I roamed.

My Dad the same, as was his Dad. 

Always wanting what’s beyond the horizon,

The realm of dreams that invariably fades into the distance as you approach it.

Itchy feet scratched only by moving them down the road.


For a guy like me, what is this “sense of place” people talk about?

Mystics say that life is change, that the world is illusory.

I guess I got that early in life.

But I also lost connections with people along the way.

For awhile, as a child, not even knowing how to connect,

Or wanting to, as we’d always leave them behind in the end.

It took awhile, but I learned how important relationships are.

Now find myself looking up old friends I haven’t seen in many years.

Those people somehow found their way into my guarded heart.

For me, that’s home, a heart full of friends. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Destiny

Songs God Hears

Real Change or Just Pocket Change