A Conversation with a Poem

 A Conversation with a Poem


I asked a Poem, “What are you?”


The Poem replied, “I am my Poet’s heart. On the day of my birth, my Poet told me, ‘My heart is open. Here it is. Take it. Share it with others.’ So I did. In something they call a chapbook.”


I questioned further, “What is it like to be a Poem?”


“Well,” said the Poem, “It’s happy sometimes, especially when a Reader turns to my page in the book. It’s nice being in a book with my friends, but it is a bit stuffy in there. When someone reads my words aloud - with feeling - that is when my words shine!


“You mentioned the day of your birth. What was that like?”


“It was, shall we say, interesting. I never knew what my Poet was going to come up with next. Especially after I was relegated to his ‘It’s Drafty in Here’ file for quite a few days. Being a draft can be a neverland of despair or a cupful of sunshine depending on your outlook. At least you’re not crumpled up and tossed in the wastebasket - your dream broken - like some of my previous incarnations. But that heart of his was full of all kinds of metaphorical feelings, and he put me through them - a funnel cloud of fear, a kettle of rage, a tsunami of sadness - until finally I sat in a lap of contentment, all within a few lines. Whew! When I was born, I was also a little crispy around the edges, so to speak. I think that my Poet needs to see a therapist. Well, I guess I’m his therapist.”


“I hear that your Poet has a new poetry blog.  Are you on-line now?”


“Yes, it’s exciting! Don’t get me wrong. It’s nice being published in a book, too. But it’s really a rush, getting whizzed around at an electric pace to the computers of others. I haven’t, as they say, gone viral yet, but I understand “viral” is a negative term these days. I do like to go on the computers of pandemic shut-ins. They really appreciate me, though I guess they are a captive audience. I hope that I can bring a little sunshine into their lives. All in all, it’s a good life being a Poem. I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.”


“Thanks for your insights on the life of a Poem. Here’s hoping you go viral in the good sense.”


“And thank you. Poems never get a chance to talk this much.  Poets are so concerned with economy of language. At least mine is. It’s been nice to talk this way with you, and not get tossed in the wastebasket. If your interested, here’s my Poet’s blog address:

                                     https://shroudedshore.blogspot.com/

“Enjoy!”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Destiny

Songs God Hears

Real Change or Just Pocket Change