If Wishes Were Horses, Poets Would Count Them Before They Hatched

 Have you ever mixed a metaphor? Check-out this conversation…


If Wishes Were Horses, Poets Would Count Them Before They Hatched


>I’ve had a roller coaster of a life lately. The rubber is just not hitting the road. I am a tsunami of woe.


What fly in the ointment has made you a tempest of despair?


>Well, I’ve been feeling as useless as a dealer with a deck of 51, on a rocking horse, moving but going nowhere. Especially at work. It’s either I throw down the gauntlet or punt.


As a poet you used to be a pot of sunshine cooking-up velvety verse. Now a canary with laryngitis?


>Yeah, but more like a nattering neverland of negativity. I have a new editor. He is a scowl of intimidation, awash with a flood of indifference to my work. Something about mixing my metaphors.


Well, I’m not sure what that means. Mixed metaphor? Is that with whiskey or brandy? Try to understand him. He’s probably just a macho marshmallow with a funnel cloud of fear inside.


>I think a mixed metaphor is made with whiskey. I know I need to be an open door of forgiveness myself, hardly an easy chair of apathy, or a ragbag of blame. But I am a sensitive poet. My heart bleeds like a punctured pomegranate on a plate of poetic passion, wailing in the wind.


Yes, but it’s always best to look on the bright side. When in a kettle of rage, you’re also a warm body of love. I hope your hard rock of grief will not extinguish your fire of enthusiasm, carrying you away in a roaring outpouring of retribution.


>Yes! Thanks! Your wave of understanding propels me like a surfboard into the lap of contentment, 


Great! Lately I’ve heard a deafening drumbeat of interest in the cacophonous carnival of your work. For us poets, wishes are horses, and we get to count them before they hatch...Or like that.


>Thanks. Have a gravy boat day over the moon in the daylight of your dreams. 


And you have a two banana day in the pizza party sky of poetic impossibility.         


>Meet you at the pub after work?


Yes. I’m going to try one of those mixed metaphors! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songs God Hears

My Destiny

Real Change or Just Pocket Change