A Mid-Century Modern Love Story

 A Mid-Century Modern Love Story


(A note from the poet: This conversation includes many references to TV commercials and pop songs of the day, indicated by quotation marks. Many of the products and songs are still on the market. So, use them, and you, too, could have a mid-century modern romance.  For more info, google sites like “1950’s commercial jingles” and “1950’s music hits.”)


Peggy Sue, come with me “to see the USA in my Chevrolet.”

     

  • Oh, I will, Johnny! “You look so debonair.” You must use Brylcreem in your hair.


Yes. Girls “love to run their fingers through my hair.” Want to?


  • Oh, yes, Johnny. And your teeth are so white! “I wonder where the yellow went?”


Well, I “brush my teeth with Pepsodent.”


  • Before we go to see the USA, I’d like to bake you a Pillsbury Cake, because “nothin’ says lovin’ like somethin’ from the oven.”


Sure. Let’s go on a picnic by the lake. Do you like Oscar Meyer Wieners?


  • Yes! ”I’d love to be an Oscar Meyer Wiener. Then everyone would be in love with me.”


How about Jello for dessert?


  • Oh, sure. “There’s always room for Jello.”


And we’ll bring Alka-Seltzer just in case.


  • Yeah, it goes “plop, plop, fizz, fizz. And, oh, what a relief it is!”


Later that night at the lake…


  • Oh, look at the moon.


Yeah, it “hits my eye like a big pizza pie.”


  • “Memories are made of this.”


Peg, “put your head on my shoulder.”


  • But “I’m all shook up,” so “love me tender.”


Peggy Sue, “I get a kick out of you.”


  • Is it my “blue suede shoes?”


No, Peg. It’s your “chantilly lace.”


  • Now, “Johnny, be good.”








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songs God Hears

My Destiny

Real Change or Just Pocket Change